The United States has banned Americans from putting investments in Russia, as part of its new sanctions for its invasion of Ukraine. QQQ is down 2.45%
- The new measures zero in on Sberbank, which accounts for a third of Russia’s total banking assets, along with Alfabank.
- The measures also impose sanctions on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s adult daughters and the wife and daughter of Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
- Americans are also prevented from making investments in Russia, also covering transactions through venture capitals or mergers.
- The Justice Department also unveiled new enforcement measures designed to stop and prosecute illegal Russian activity.
- A US official said the sanctions may force Russia back into living standards of the Soviet era as Washington seeks to escalate the financial import on Moscow.
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken cited the killings done by Russian forces as “deliberate,” while Russia denied targeting civilians in its “special military operation.”