Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
American job openings climbed in October, as total hires for the month retreated while separations declined.
- Job openings for the month climbed by 431,000 to 11.033 million, up from 10.62 million in September and 6.873 million in 2020. The job openings rate was little changed at 6.9%.
- The biggest increases were seen in accommodation and food services, nondurable goods manufacturing, and educational services.
- Hires for the month declined to 6.464 million from 6.546 million in September, but higher than the 6.035 million the same month last year. The rate was unchanged at 4.4%.
- Hires declined in finance and insurance, while growth was reported in educational services.
- Total separations for the month stood at 5.892 million, down from 6.147 the previous month but higher than the 5.427 million in October 2020. The rate was little changed at 4.0%.
- The number of quits declined to 4.2 million with a quits rate down to 2.8%.
- Layoffs and discharges were little changed at 1.4 million, with the rate unchanged at 0.9%.