Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
US job openings reached an all-time high of 10.9 million on the last business day of July, an uptick of 6.9%. SPY is down -0.40%, DXY is up +0.23%.
- Healthcare and social assistance recorded the largest jump in job openings at 294,000. Finance and insurance posted 116,000 new jobs, while food services and accommodation recorded 115,000 new job openings.
- The Northeast, West, and South regions posted an increase in job openings.
- Hire rate was little changed at 6.7 million or 4.5%. Hiring was little changed in all the four regions.
- The number and rate of job separations was little changed at 5.8 million and 3.9%, respectively in July. Number of quits was little changed at 4.0 million, with the quit rate at 2.7%.
- Number of layoffs and discharges remained almost the same at 1.5 million and 1.0%, respectively.
- In the year ending July, the net employment gain was a positive of 7.0 million, from total hires of 72.6 million and separations of 65.6 million.