Source: US Census Bureau
American housing starts posted a slight growth in August, as permits climbed to a four-month high. XHB is down 0.40%, while DXY is down 0.06%.
- Housing starts stood at 1.615 million, up 3.9% from July’s 1.554 million and 17.4% higher than 1.376 million in August 2020.
- Single-family housing starts fell to 1.076 million from July’s 1.107 million, but slightly higher than 1.023 million a year ago. Starts of buildings with five units or more grew to 530,000.
- Building permits for the month were recorded at 1.728 million, up 6.0% from July’s 1.630 million and 13.5% higher than 1.522 million a year ago.
- The latest reading is the highest in four months since building permits stood at 1.733 million in April.
- Housing completions were recorded at 1.330 million, down 4.5% from July’s 1.392 million, but 9.4% up from 1.216 in August 2020.
- The south accounted for 708,000 completions, followed by the west with 326,000, the northeast with 155,000, and the midwest with 141,000.
Leave a Reply