The volume of retail sales in the euro area were down by 0.4% in March, while in the EU, the sales fell by 0.2%. DAX is up +0.10%, EURUSD is up +0.21%.
- The decline in retail sales in March is a downturn, after the volumes shot up by 0.4% and 0.3% in the euro area and EU, respectively, in February.
- Retail sales declined the most in the automotive fuel category in the euro area in March, with a slump of 2.9%. Non-food products sales were down by 1.2%, while food, drinks, and tobacco saw a 0.8% gain.
- In the EU, retail sales also fell the most in automotive fuels by 3.0%. Non-food products fell by 07%, while food-drinks, and tobacco sales improved by 0.6%.
- Spain posted the largest decline in retail sales at -4.0%, followed by Luxembourg and France at minus 3.3% and 1.9%, respectively. Gains were recorded the highest in Slovenia, Latvia, and Hungary, with increases of 11.4%, 11.1%, and 7.3%, respectively.
- Compared to the prior year, the retail sales were up by 0.8% in the euro area and 1.7% in the EU in March.