India is working on a stimulus package that would drive recovery after a surge in COVID-19 cases that made the country a hotspot, according to Bloomberg.
- The package being prepared by the finance ministry covers tourism, aviation and hospitality industries, and small and medium-sized firms.
- Talks are still at the early stages and a timeframe has yet to be set. Officials have yet to comment on record.
- India reported its second wave in March, with daily tallies nearing 200,000 cases. Local governments and states have since implemented measures to curb the spread.
- The finance ministry in April relaxed rules on capital expenditures by government departments in a bid to drive more spending.
- The country has given out 5 kilograms of free food to the urban poor per month.
- Urban areas have seen an exodus of millions of migrant workers who fled back to their rural homes.
Leave a Reply