Source: Census Bureau
US housing starts were posted at an annual rate of 1.702 million in December 2021, an increase of 1.4% from the previous month. SPY is up +0.47%, DXY is down -0.19%.
- The increase in housing starts beat forecasts as economists were expecting a rate fall to 1.650 million units in December. Compared to December 2020, housing starts rose 2.5%.
- About 1.595 million housing units were started in 2021, an improvement of 15.6% from the previous year.
- Housing permits also followed suit, with the annual rate of approvals hitting 1.873 million, up 9.1% from November. The permits were 6.5% higher than the previous year.
- Overall, about 1.725 housing units were authorized in 2021, up 17.2% from the 2020 rate of 1.471 million units.
- In December, housing completions hit an annual rate of 1.295 million, 8.7% higher than November. The completions were 6.6% higher than December 2020 level.
- In the year 2021, 1.338 housing units were completed, with the figure 4.0% above the 2020 rate of 1.287 million.