Unemployment in both the European Union and the euro area posted a slight decline in August, extending the downtrend of jobless Europeans.
- The seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate in the Euro area stood at 7.5% in August, down from 7.6% in July 2021 and 8.6% in August 2020.
- The reading is equivalent to 12.162 million, down by 261,000 from July and 1.861 million a year ago.
- The EU unemployment rate clocked in at 6.8%, down from 6.9% in July and 7.7% in August 2020.
- The reading is equivalent to 14.469 million, down by 224,000 from July and by 1.965 million from the previous year.
- Youth unemployment stood at 2.833 million in the EU, of whom 2.317 million were in the Euro area. The youth unemployment rate was 16.2% in the EU and 16.4% in the Euro area.
- The unemployment rate for women was 7.2% in the EU, while the rate for men was 6.5%. The Euro area recorded 8.1% unemployment for women and 7.1% for men.